E-Vane II Electronic Wind Direction Sensor
This electronic wind vane represents the latest technology in wind sensing: a balanced wind direction vane with a near-zero friction bearing and a high accuracy magnetic angle sensor to provide precision wind direction. Unique locking feature allows you to easily set "North" regardless of mounting orientation (see below). Input 2.7-5.5VDC; output: 5% to 95% of the input voltage, proportional to angular position.
The active element is a Hall effect sensor. Wind direction is provided by a magnet attached to the vane, and which hovers over the sensor. The E-Vane requires an input of 5 VDC and provides an analog output of 5% to 95% of the input voltage. Click here to view the specs and electrical diagram.
- The e-Vane2 does not include any electronics or display. It is fully compatible with the Inspeed WindWorks electronics platform.
It represents a number of advantages over potentiometer vanes, including:
- Zero dead band. Many potentiometer wind vanes have a dead spot of several degrees. This device has no dead band.
- Near-zero friction. Since the magnet is not in contact with the Hall sensor, there is no friction from the sensor.
- Virtually infinite life. Unlike potentiometers that wear out, the magnetic Hall sensor is non-contacting and should theoretically last forever.
How It Works:
The E-Vane requires 2.7-5.5 volts DC for power*. It has three wires: ground, power, and signal.
- A unique locking feature so you can twist the vane and set "North" (or zero output) to wherever you wish. That means that the offset bracket can be pointed in any direction you want, unlike other manufacturers that force you to point the bracket to North so it will read correctly. WIth the e-Vane, just mount the vane, lock the sensor when the software (or your device) says North, twist the vane until it points North, then release the sensor so it is free to rotate. Simple!
Accuracy: +/- 1.7% of Full Scale (+/- 6 degrees) Mounting The E-Vane is provided with an offset aluminum bracket with 2 mounting holes. The mounting is compatible with Inspeed Vortex Wind Sensors & Pole Mount Anemometers(the 2 holes match).
- Sensor Type:
- Balanced wind vane connected to an active, non-contact, zero friction Hall Effect sensor. Magnet hovers over the sensor to provide the output
- Sensor Range:
- Full 360 degrees, zero deadband
- 12 bit or 0.025 degrees
- Terminal block connection
Supply voltage 2.7 to 5.5 VDC
Current 12 mA typical
Output 5% to 95% of input voltage
Output impedance: 500 Ohms
Input impedance: min. 50 kOhms
Optional Heavy Duty Tubular Mount available Dimensions Directional Vane approximately 8 inches Compatibility The Inspeed e-Vane is compatible with Inspeed WindWorks. It is NOT compatible with Inspeed WindWare software (which provides wind speed only)