High Capacity, Low Cost Wind Data Logger
While many people rely on wind maps to assist them with this purchase decision, these maps don’t provide the detailed information for a specific area. The WindLog allows you to do your own accurate wind study to optimize your turbine placement and its performance, once installed.
The wind logger operates on three AA batteries. Battery life will depend on the environment and logging rates. Typical life should be around 6 months. Lithium batteries are recommended for cold environments. When connected to a computer the WindLog will use the USB ports power to run. This further extends the life of the batteries.
The Mini-Aervane wind sensor is equipped with low friction race bearings. This reduces the threshold to approximately 1 mph. The wind direction sensor has a 16-point resolution. Logged direction readings are averaged readings.
The WindLog samples every second. Both average and gust readings are stored at the the selected interval. With the new 2 MB memory the logger can record for over 3 months at a 1 minute rate.
- 2 MB of flash memory stores over a years worth of wind data at a 10 min logging interval.
- Operates on 3 AA Alkaline or Lithium batteries.
- Uses USB power when connected to a computer.
- USB port provides fast downloads.
- Free Windows software.
- Logs average speed, wind gust and average direction.
- User selectable logging intervals from 1 minute to 1 hour.
Comes with WindSoft - Free Windows Software Package
WindLog ships with a free Windows based application, WindSoft. The software uses a SQLite database to track and record wind information. While connected, WindSoft will update the database every minute. Downloaded data is integrated into the database. By combining both logged and real-time data the WindLog can be used both online and offline.
WindSoft, can generate statistics, graphs and reports. It also can export CSV files for use with Microsoft Excel or any other application that supports CSV files.
- The WindLog ships with a 15 foot USB cable. This is the maximum standard USB cable length. A USB extender kit is available that will allow you to extend this cable to 100 feet using CAT5e network cable.
- A support mast is included with the WindLog. This mast can be used with the Rainwise Mono Mount, and Tripod. The mast may also be attached to a support structure using U-Bolts or lag screws.
- 0 – 67 meters per second (150 Mph)
- +/- 2%
- 4-blade propeller – Lexan – UV inhibited
- .45m/sec. (1 Mph)
- Magnetic dry reed switch
- 1 cycle per revolution
- 360° – no deadband
- 22.5°, averaged
- +/- 22.5°
- Balanced vane with a 16.5cm (6.6 inch) radius
- .9 m/sec. (2 mph) at a 10° deflection
- The balanced propeller is supported in stainless steel instrument ball bearings.
- The direction is obtained through 8 dry reed switches with no dead band.
- The M-AV sensor is made from UV inhibited Dupont Delrin, Lexan and stainless steel.